Reports to: Workshop Supervisor
Overall purpose of role
- To service, repair and restore vintage cars (mainly Bugattis) as planned by the management team and scheduled by the workshop supervisor.
- To liaise with the parts supervisor, with the sufficient amount of lead-time, for the ordering of any parts or equipment that may be required to complete the tasks you're given on any car that is allocated to you.
- To be flexible and willing to occasionally assist other colleagues with any tasks that they might need help with.
- To work efficiently, diligently and effectively in all aspects of any mechanical engineering that you're tasked with.
- To accurately measure worn components and be able to identify whether or not replacement is absolutely necessary.
- To carry out any welding in the form of Arc, Tig, Mig and Gas that may be required in order to complete your allocated tasks.
- On allocated work sheets and on a daily basis, you are expected to accurately and legibly record what hours you have spent on the various tasks that you complete during the course of each working day.
- As and when necessary, work closely with the wokshop supervisor to obtain guidance and instructions for the appropriate courses of action when unforeseen problems occur with the repair of a vehicle.
- To carry out work within the machine shop and undertake relatively simple tasks such as grinding and drilling etc.
- To ensure that all necessary procedures are followed correctly and promptly in terms of paperwork eg job instructions, time sheets, parts used etc.
- To assist with records in terms of a photographic library and estimates to ensure the appropriate time is spent on any relevant job.
- This is a full-time, workshop-based position, working Monday to Friday (excluding bank and national holidays).
- To work productively, efficiently and diligently in order to meet the customer's and management's expectations.
- To liase with the workshop supervisor, parts department and machine shop supervisor to prioritise the manufacture or supply of parts required to fulfil your tasks.
- Demonstrate the technical skills, products and servicing knowledge required in order to carry out your allocated tasks competently and professionally.
- To assist with the execution of the workshop plans in conjunction with the company's activities, expectations and objectives.
- To occasionally meet customers and be prepared to justify the levels of attention and workload spent on individual elements of a job.
- To occasionally drive a vehicle and be capable of diagnosing faults.
Skills, Knowledge & Experience
- Must have an excellent understanding of vehicle technology and be a highly competent mechanical engineer.
- Must have experience and skills in precision engineering.
- Must have experience and skills in welding - Arc, Mig, Tig and Gas.
- Must have experience and a passion in mechanical engineering but still willing to learn from the experience of others.
- Must have a clean, professional experience.
- Must have a good command of the English language both verbally and written - in particular with legible hand-writing.
- Must be able to communicate effectively and confidently at all levels including with senior management and occasionally customers.
- Must have extensive mechanical engineering experience working in a workshop environment preferably, but not limited, within the automotive industry.
- Must have a comprehensive selection of personal tools and be able to work on complex tasks without close supervision.
- Must have your own means of transport or at least make your own transport arrangements in order to get to and from the place of work at the appropriate times.
- This job is a very rare opportunity for a quick-learning, enthusiastic individual with a desire to make real progress and an exciting career within a very specialist and interesting element of the automotive sector.
- Normal working hours - 08.00 to 18.00 with 2 x 15-minute breaks at 10.30 and 15.30 with 1-hour for lunch at 13.00.
- Holidays - 20 days per year excluding bank and other national holidays (3 compulsory days to be taken at Christmas).