Reports to: Managing Director
Overall purpose of role
- To plan and control the day-to-day running of the workshop.
- To supervise, lead, help and assist the technicians with their daily tasks and ultimately maximise their efficiency and productivity.
- To work closely with the managing director and ensure that appropriate attention and labour is given to relevant projects.
- To work closely with the machine shop to ensure that specialist parts are manufactured on time to coincide with the scheduling of relevant restoration projects.
- To work closely with the machine shop and assist with quality assurance inspections, processes and standards.
- To work closely with the managing director and make recommendations for improvements in terms of employees, suppliers, processes, tooling and other additional items.
- To work closely with the managing director to control the levels of attention being given to the company’s short and long-term restoration projects.
- To ensure that all necessary procedures are followed correctly and promptly in terms of paperwork flow e.g. job instructions, time sheets, parts used etc.
- To assist with project estimates and ensure that these are produced accurately and comprehensively.
- To make recommendations for other profitable revenue opportunities.
- This is a full-time, workshop-based position, working Monday to Friday (excluding bank holidays and annual holiday allowance).
- To ensure the smooth operation of the service department in order to fulfil the requirements of the company and its customers.
- To liaise with the machine shop and parts department to prioritise the manufacture or supply of parts required by the technicians in order for them to fulfil their tasks.
- Demonstrate the relevant technical skills, products and services knowledge.
- To assist with the execution of the workshop plans in conjunction with the company's activities, expectations and activities.
- Work closely with the managing director and machine shop supervisor to ensure that all requests for manufactured parts are delivered on time and within agreed budget levels.
- To occasionally meet customers and be prepared to justify the levels of attention and workload being given to relevant projects.
Skills, Knowledge & Experience
- Must have an excellent understanding of vehicle technology and be a highly competent engineer and mechanic.
- Must have experience and skills in precision engineering.
- Must have experience and skills in welding - Arc, Mig, Tig and Gas.
- Must have experience and a passion in restoring vintage vehicles.
- Must be computer literate and good at maths.
- Must have a professional appearance.
- Must have a good command of the English language both verbally and written - in particular with legible hand-writing.
- Must have a good, confident telephone manner.
- Must be able to communicate effectively and confidently at all levels including with senior management.
- Must have experience in managing/supervising a workshop within the automotive industry preferably with a prestige/luxury marque.
- Must have a comprehensive selection of personal tools to be able to work on certain individual projects.
- This job is a very exciting opportunity for a quick-learning, enthusiastic individual with a desire to make real progress and an exciting career within a very specialist and interesting part of the automotive sector.
- Must have a valid car driving licence with no more than 6 points.