Reports to: Workshop Technical Supervisor
Overall purpose of role
- To service, repair and restore vintage cars (mainly Bugattis) as planned by the management team and scheduled by the workshop technical supervisor.
- To liaise with the parts specialist, with sufficient amount of lead-time, for the ordering of any parts or equipment, that may be required to complete the tasks you're given on any car that is allocated to you.
- To be flexible and willing to occasionally assist other colleagues with any tasks they might need help with.
- To work efficiently, diligently and effectively in all aspects of any mechanical engineering that you're tasked with.
- To accurately measure worn components and be able to identify whether or not replacement is absolutely necessary.
- To carry out any welding in the form of Arc, Tig, Mig and Gas that may be required in order to complete your allocated tasks.
- On allocated work sheets and on a daily basis, you are expected to accurately and legibly record what hours you have spent on the various tasks that you complete during the course of each working day.
- As and when necessary, work closely with the workshop technical supervisor to obtain guidance and instructions for the appropriate courses of action, when confronted with unforeseen problems that may occur, during the repair of a vehicle.
- To be prepared to carry out work within the machine shop and undertake relatively simple tasks such as grinding and drilling etc.
- To ensure all necessary procedures are followed correctly and promptly in terms of paperwork eg job instructions, time sheets, parts used etc.
- To assist with records in terms of a photographic library and estimates to ensure the appropriate time is spent on any relevant job.
- This is a full-time, workshop-based position, working Monday to Friday excluding bank and other national holidays.
- Holiday allowance - 20 days per year excluding bank and other national holidays - 3 compulsory days are to be taken between Christmas and New Year.
- Normal working hours - 08.00 to 17.30 with 2 x 15-minute breaks at 10.30 and 15.30 with a 1-hour lunch break at 13.00.
- To work productively, efficiently and diligently in order to meet the customer's and management's expectations.
- To liaise with the workshop technical supervisor, parts department and machine shop supervisor to prioritise the manufacture or supply of parts and components required to fulfil your tasks.
- Demonstrate the technical skills, products and servicing knowledge required in order to carry out your allocated tasks competently and professionally.
- To assist with the execution of the workshop plans in conjunction with the company's activities, expectations and objectives.
- To occasionally meet customers and be prepared to justify the levels of attention and workload spent on individual elements of a job.
- To occasionally drive a vehicle and be capable of diagnosing faults.
Skills, Knowledge & Experience
- Must have an excellent understanding of vehicle technology and be a highly competent mechanical engineer.
- Must have experience and skills in precision engineering.
- Must have experience and skills in welding - Arc, Mig, Tig and Gas.
- Must have experience in, and a passion for, mechanical engineering - but still be willing to learn from the experience of others.
- Must have a clean, professional experience.
- Must have a good command of the English language both verbally and written - in particular with legible hand-writing.
- Must be able to communicate effectively and confidently at all levels including with senior management and occasionally customers.
- Must have extensive mechanical engineering experience working in a workshop environment, preferably but not limited to, within the automotive industry.
- Must have your own comprehensive selection of personal tools and be able to work on complex tasks without close supervision.
- Must have your own means of transport, or at least be able to make your own transport arrangements, in order to get to and from the place of work, in a very rural part of Buckinghamshire, at the appropriate times.
- This job is a rare opportunity for a quick-learning, enthusiastic individual who has a desire to make real progress and have an exciting career within a very specialist and interesting element of the automotive sector.